Exercise 7 – Bulk, Pedigree Breeding
Give complete answers, but be brief and specific. Show your work.
20 points total
1. Compare the following breeding methods for self-pollinated crops considering amount of hybridization, best uses of the method in cultivar development, and expected gain: mass, pure line, bulk, pedigree.
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages for bulk, pedigree, and backcross for breeding self-pollinated crops?
3. How are the following methods similar and how are they different? Composite cross, bulk, bulk family.
4. Compare single-seed descent and pure-line family breeding for resources used, method of handling germplasm, and progress made.
5. Compare selfing and backcrossing for rate of approach to homozygosity and chances of recovering the parental trait desired.
6. What are two differences between pedigree breeding and backcross breeding? What are the advantages and disadvantages of backcross breeding?