Exercise 8 – Backcross, Mutation, Mechanization
Give complete answers, but be brief and specific. Show your work.
20 points total
1. Compare selfing and backcrossing for rate of approach to homozygosity and chances of recovering the parental trait desired.
2. What are two differences between pedigree breeding and backcross breeding? What are the advantages and disadvantages of backcross breeding?
3. Describe the procedure for the inbred-backcross breeding method. What are the advantages of this method?
4. What are three uses and three potential problems of mutation breeding in a breeding program?
5. List eight pieces of labor-saving machinery used in the NCSU cucumber breeding program with their function in helping operate the program with reduced labor?